This is the third post in a series on library lessons for October 2017. You can read the previous post HERE.
This week was such fun as we continued our monster-themed lessons for the month! The week started out with another fun read-aloud with Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade students. Claire Freedman's Monsters Love Underpants had kids in stitches and they had fun spying their favorite undies throughout the book.
With kindergarten students, I highlighted the letter M. I was fortunate enough to have a teacher give me a tip last week that the students had just learned the letter. How perfect is that?! I made a little foam monster letter by cutting out the letter and attaching googly eyes and a silly mouth. (I regret I didn't take a photo, but I'll fix that when I'm back at school and will post in the comments so that you can see it.) We talked about the letter M, looked for it in the story, and then I gave students an "Mm is for Monster" creative commons coloring sheet that I downloaded HERE. The students had fun and it reinforced what they are learning in the classroom.
I did the same book with 1st and 2nd graders, but we weren't able to do an activity. Book check-out with these students takes 15 minutes of our 30 minute library time, so I often feel at a loss of what to do with these students. After a read-aloud, we don't have time for much else. I hope this can change in the future, but for now we just focus on a read-aloud and book circulation. I'm open for suggestions!
Third graders got a real treat this week, as we continued to build on the I Need My Monster lesson from last week. I reviewed our discussion about our "perfect monster" from our writing activity from last week and then I told them that they now would be making their monsters. They were super stoked! I have to admit that this fun idea came from a blog post from Sandy Liptak. She used a different book (which I have just recently purchased and plan to use in the future), but the basic idea of lesson came from her blog post. She has fabulous ideas on her blog, so be sure to check them all out!
I made a little assembly line with signs telling students how many of each item they were allowed to take, similar to Sandy's lesson. We used a hole punch to create holes for attaching pipe cleaners which students used for arms, legs, tails, or antennae. Once the students had created their monster bodies, they came to my special station for the eyes. I didn't want glue in the library carpet, so I assisted with the glue application. It worked great.
After the students completed the monsters, I had them gather at the carpet area for a group photo. We took a few with their smiling faces for the yearbook and then a few with their monsters covering their faces for social media and website use. They loved posing with their creatures! It was so much fun and the perfect activity for 3rd graders.
4th graders also did the monster writing activity last week, so this week they made their monsters come to life, but not using the assembly line as the 3rd graders did. I had 4th graders review how to use the basics of Buncee (they haven't used all of the features the way the 5th graders have). The 4th grade students then began creating their "perfect monsters" using Buncee. They came up with some really great ideas and we will continue this project next week. I hope to share some of the final projects with you in the next post.
That brings me to the 5th graders who continued researching their monsters and creating a presentation on their research using Buncee. I was happy to see that they are still really enjoying the project. They are pretty close to being done, so I imagine that next week we will finish up and then I have some fun plans for student sharing.
So, that's a wrap! We are about half way through our October lessons and with a four-day weekend for our fall break, I'm looking forward to a little R-n-R and time to prep for our next batch of lessons!
Who to follow: